more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Following on Rose Robbins' question, how do you account for Worker's Comp?

My perspective is to break it into two pieces: One as a fringe benefit expense (not W-2 reportable) as it is not comp but does scale with employees, and;

Second as a non-comp COGS component for people who are direct labor.

Any opinions on this treatment?   Alternatives?


Mark Shornick
Title: CFO
Company: Numerix
(CFO, Numerix) |

I concur with Keith's classifications, it's a fringe rather than a general insurance cost. Ideally I would recognize this cost as the payroll "consumes" premium based on payroll x rates, especially if the payroll is changing during the policy period.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email [email protected] to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.