more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Accounting for Tax Withholdings

Sal Michaels's Profile

Hi everyone, I am curious about whether your employer has to account for your tax withholdings when depositing money with the IRS or state tax dept. I know employees should get a stub showing payroll taxes, etc. But does the IRS get a similar accounting for the money they receive periodically? Does the IRS deposit those withholdings into an account on your behalf, or do they just take a lumpsum and rely on the employer to do the accounting?



Topic Expert
Wayne Spivak
Title: President & CFO
LinkedIn Profile
(President & CFO, |

You account for individual tax withholdings on either payroll filings, 1042, 1099, etc.

Those amounts need to tie into the payments made during the year (for the forms above, it is a calendar year with final payments normally in the next year).

You should talk with your CFO or accountant.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.