more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Adjusting withholding for paycheck true-up

A start-up needed to drop employees down to minimum wage for 6 months. Now the company wants to pay the difference between the employees normal wages and minimum wage for the 6 months. This will result in large paychecks that will result in larger than normal withholding for the employees. Is there a way to avoid this? This is essentially back pay that would be normally spread out over 6 months.


Topic Expert
Wayne Spivak
Title: President & CFO
LinkedIn Profile
(President & CFO, |

Why not calculate what payroll would have been for 6 months. Then based on the IRS/State tax tables, calc what taxes would have been.

Subtract what was already paid and that is the amount you will subtract from the catch-up check. Remember FICA/MED has no effect... so calculate normally (if they go over the FICA max, they go over... and you stop calculating FICA)


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email [email protected] to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.