more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Correcting Prior Year Capital Revenue Errors

Anonymous Person's Profile

Last financial year, we recorded costs as an expense for the creation of some Assets.
These should have been recorded as capital costs as opposed to revenue.

My understanding is that, we can:
Cr Retained Earnings & Dr Asset - for Tangible Assets
I have been advised that this is not allowed for Intangible Assets.

The person giving the advise did not explain why, I cannot contact them and I am not certain they are correct.

Can someone explain:
If both treatments above are correct?
Reference the explanations in the relevant accounting standards?


Maple A
Title: CPA retired
Company: Retired
(CPA retired, Retired) |

If your company issues any audited annual report then you really need to start this conversation with your auditors. They can tell you what is involved because such a change is no walk in the park. Typically the item needing to be adjusted must be very, very large in amount meaning it was "material to the financial statements" in the parlance of your auditors.
Else if there was no audited annual report then you have to determine who received any prior year financial info. This can be banks, who get info on your earnings if you have a loan, shareholders, income tax authorities, etc - all of whom need to be informed of your change. Again, no walk in the park. So consider all this before proceeding.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.