more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Do revocable Trusts Have to File a federal Income Tax Return?

Jerry Rogers's Profile

I have a revocable trust - no EIN associated with the trust - do I have to get an EIN?


(Chairman) |
Topic Expert
Wayne Spivak
Title: President & CFO
LinkedIn Profile
(President & CFO, |

Talk to your CPA who will take responsibility and liability for their answer.

David Cole
Company: Haines, Isenbarger & Skiba LLC
(CPA, CVA, CRFAC, CGMA, Haines, Isenbarger & Skiba LLC) |

Depends. If it's a dry trust (no assets), then likely that an EIN isn't required. To be safe, dry or not, my advice is to get an EIN for the trust since it can be a separate taxpayer. As to filing a 1041, that depends on whether the trust has income above the filing level or not, which depends on whether there are assets held by the trust.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email [email protected] to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.