more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Help with journal entries for Accounts Receivables

How would you preform the journal entries for a client that is disputing claiming a shortage, but are deducting that from their payment to us that is an accounts receivable. I am counter disputing as I have signed BOLs and proof, how do I write these entries, so that I can show the deduction, but also have the amount show as a payable for the future when repaid. If this is not the right place to ask this question sorry. Thank you for your help.


Victor Shah
Title: Account Manager
Company: FlowRocket, LLC
(Account Manager, FlowRocket, LLC) |


There seems to be some confusion in the question. Interpreting your question, your customer has claimed a shortage in delivery and issued a credit memo to you. However, you have signed BOLs as evidence that there was no shortage.

Thus, as per your customer your receivable balance should be reduced by that much where as you say it shouldn't be and you are counter disputing the same.
Are you planning to file a legal dispute for the said balance? or are you simply going to have a negotiation and conversation with your customer about the disputed balance?

In case of a legal dispute, i would seek an advice from your attorney whether to record the credit memo or not!
or you can record that as a credit memo against the invoice and record it accordingly.

Let me know if this was helpful! I would still seek some expert's advise, who may have encountered similar situations before.

Victor Shah
Title: Account Manager
Company: FlowRocket, LLC
(Account Manager, FlowRocket, LLC) |

Or you can use Bed Debt Allowance Account for the time being until the issue is resolved. You can always adjust the Bed Debt Allowance account based on actual result of your dispute. That will keep your AR balance same as invoice and will not be adjusted.

John Cogliandro
Title: Director of Finance and Accounting
Company: Catclar Investments
(Director of Finance and Accounting, Catclar Investments) |

I would almost consider the use of a contingency/suspense account to book the difference until it is figured out. But honestly... I would leave the receivable open for that customer in the amount that has not been paid, essentially just apply a partial payment until it gets figured out. If the customer is right, just reverse the entry. I think its pretty straight forward unless I am missing something....

Good luck


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.