more-arw search

Q&A Forum

how do I account for a loss of asset

Judy Gardner's Profile

Company had fixed asset vehicle that was wrecked and totaled by insurance company. Received payment that was equal to book value. Do I debit Accumulated Depreciation and credit fixed asset? Then when the insurance company check arrives I enter as income then debit income then credit what????


(SVP & PAO) |

You'll debit Accum Depreciation, credit the fixed asset, debit cash for the insurance proceeds and credit gain on disposal.

phil Wolhar
Title: President/CEO
Company: PAWCO Enterprises, Ltd.
(President/CEO, PAWCO Enterprises, Ltd.) |

Assume $10000 Fixed Asset at cost with $ 4000 Accumulated Depreciation. Net book value is $6000. Debit Cash for $6000, Debit Accumulated Depreciation $4000, Credit Fixed Asset $10000. No gain, No loss.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email [email protected] to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.