more-arw search

Q&A Forum

If I have been working for a company for 2 years can they ask for me to reapply?

So my boss called me today and said they where going through there files for the company and said they could not find my file but found my spouses ( we work together & got hired same time) that I need to re summit application, W'2 and copy of my DL and SS card I am going on 3 yrs with this company is this normal for a company to do??


Title: CFO
Company: C-Suite Services
LinkedIn Profile
(CFO, C-Suite Services) |

It will depend on what they really want you to do. REDOCUMENT is different from REAPPLYING. For example, Reapplying resets your tenure, Redocumenting does not. Make sure of the consequences of what they want you to do. Saying that, losing personnel folders does not happen often, but it DOES happen.

Topic Expert
Wayne Spivak
Title: President & CFO
LinkedIn Profile
(President & CFO, |

Also, with the exception of your SS card, the documents you cite expire.

You actually need to do a new W2 every year (no one does unless there is a change in exemptions), your DL does expire (here in NY every 10 years), as does your Passport, etc.

Every year or two I do this exercise. I worked in an industry that had many of the employees traveling internationally. I made sure I have an up-to-date Passport copy in case of emergency. It came in handy...

Topic Expert
Malak Kazan
Title: VP, Special Projects
Company: ERI Economic Research Institute
(VP, Special Projects, ERI Economic Research Institute) |

I would concur with responses above. Ask for clarification on the lost application. If they just need you to resubmit a completed one because it was lost / misplaced, don't be concerned about your employment status. The real concern is those documents contain sensitive information and unless shredded you may have your personal information compromised. Hope this helps. Have a good evening.

Topic Expert
Lee Andrews
Title: P/T CFO, Business Consultant
Company: Pacific Bag, Inc./Other Clients
(P/T CFO, Business Consultant, Pacific Bag, Inc./Other Clients) |

Observation: I think you folk mean a W4, not a W2. Also, if they lost your I-9 form, that involves federal immigration law and Homeland Security Issues. There are fines if the company cannot produce it throughout your employment and a while beyond.

Title: Chief Financial Officer
Company: Pro Tech International
(Chief Financial Officer, Pro Tech International) |

I agree with the above statements. Don't worry about providing documents that the company does not have. However, your employer really does need to figure out what happened to your file. In the wrong hands, information included in that file can subject you to some pretty serious consequences. It your employer's responsibility to ensure the security of your employment file.

It might be appropriate for you to look into some type of credit protection to ensure no one uses that information inappropriately. I would also suggest that you ask your employer to assist you in obtaining that protection and to pay for it.

Jeff Durbin
Title: Chief Financial Officer
Company: F. Gavina and Sons, Inc.
(Chief Financial Officer, F. Gavina and Sons, Inc.) |

The penalty is $500 for every file that is not complete - even if the employee is not an illegal alien. Plus, the rules are very specific and anal (as most government rules are) so it behooves your employer to do this periodically.

Don't take it personally.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.