I have my thoughts on this but was curious what the group thought was better training to be CFO and/or controller? MBA or CPA or CMA or what? I recognize they are two different positions requiring different skills so opinions on which is better for both would be great.
I am having a discussion with a collegue about this is the reason I am asking. Thanks in advance.
- Editor's Discussion Summary:
Proformative has many forum discussions about the value of various degrees and certifications for different career goals.
- What you can do trumps letters after your name
- An MBA may be the multi-purpose gold standard
- Good at tests vs good at delivering results
- Credentials make recruiter jobs easier
- Controllers may be expected to be CPAs
- Many CFOs have MBAs and no CPA
- Online tools may only include CPAs for Controller jobs
- Experience beats degrees and certificates
- Most CFOs aren't CPAs
- Some advocate having both
- Plus much more below!