more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Our company based in the US rents villas in Mexico. Do we need to report to IRS remittances to Mexican homeowners whose villas are rented out.

H Singh's Profile

Our website registered and operated out of US, lists oceanfront villas and condos that are located in Riviera Maya, Mexico. Some of these Villas and Condos are owned by Mexican nationals. Once we rent a property we collect the rental subtract our commission and remit the balance to the homeowner who is a Mexican national. Are we obligated to report to the IRS the amount of funds remitted to this foreign national.


Topic Expert
Wayne Spivak
Title: President & CFO
LinkedIn Profile
(President & CFO, |

No. You need to report any payments (1099 or 1042) made to US Citizens and those who are working in the US or its possessions. So, if you pay a Mexican national for work done in Mexico, there is no reporting that payment to the IRS or associated Mexican authority (based on the info you provided).

Obviously you record full rental sale and associated COGS, leaving the net revenue you use as the top-line basis for US taxes owed by your company.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.