more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Repatriating from Canada to US

mike thomas's Profile

We have cash from a sub in Canada that we would like to repatriate to the US for debt payment.   We would like to avoid the FX gain if at all  possible.  I understand we can do this by  loaning to a US sub (rathar than the US corp), however, the money would need to be paid back to Canada within 24 months.   Is there any way to repatriate and avoid the FX gain permanently?




Topic Expert
Keith Perry
Title: Director of Global Accounting
Company: Agrinos, Inc.
(Director of Global Accounting, Agrinos, Inc.) |


I'm not sure of the question here: in the initial transaction it seems like there should be no gain what so ever (it is just a loan from a sub to a parent). Depending on how you denominate that there could be a gain/loss to either party when it is settled.

Do you mean you want to transfer the funds permanently? As in a dividend? Or something else?




Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email [email protected] to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.