more-arw search

Q&A Forum

S corp owned investment property

Hi all. I am helping a family member who has been holding an investment property for many years in an s corp (bad, I know). Due to depreciation and the rise in market value, his basis is very low. He wants to get a commercial mortgage on the property but has been advised that if he pulls the loan proceeds out of the S Corps accounts he will have to pay capital gains on that amount. Is this true? Is there any solution? Seems absurd to have to pay tax on money that is simply borrowed from the bank, not profits.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.