more-arw search

Q&A Forum

Should I accept a counter offert ? My case is a bit different. Please provide your expert advice

John Anand Paul's Profile

Hello,

I am currently a Senior Engineer in a Multi national company in India. I recently received a another job in the same city for a higher position and around 35% hike and shown confidence in me that in near future I can be considered for a promotion too.

In my current company, I wasnt happy with my role and team and hence applied for internal transition and moved to a development role from a testing role and the current team and work seem a bit fine. Basically got internally transitioned with the same designation and pay. This team is better than the previous and they had confidence and respect for me.

Now that I got a job offer else where when i told my manager and matrix manager about it they said they will give promotion and a onsite travel opportunity to me and they really don't want to lose me But made it clear that cannot give that much pay hike but said it can be increased over period of time. (in future)

I like the current company but reasons for quitting are below
- stagnant, while others who joined with me who stayed in their same team all the while were promoted.
- pay is less
- growth is rather slow
- the current company is good for retiring but slow increments.

New company
- around 35% hike
- promotion to a Lead role
- saying I can be made Manager in less time 1-2 years (which was not possible here)
- same city
- also a MNC and a competitor to my current company,
- its also a established company

Now am in fix as what to be done.
If I accept the counter offer from current company, work is fine but growth may be slow again. its a new team need to prove again. Will I burn my bridges with the new company ?

If I go to different company, its also a new company and need to prove them but they are saying chances for promotion are high to Manager level. While that high promotion is not possible in current company based on my experience. I had internally transitioned based on the people's confidence in me, would I be breaking it if I leave?

I am unable to decide. I had given as much information as possible here.
Could you please let me know your ideas and the best decision i should take please.
Thank you in advance.

Answers

Topic Expert
Wayne Spivak
Title: President & CFO
Company: SBAConsulting.com
LinkedIn Profile
(President & CFO, SBAConsulting.com) |

While this is not the forum, if you do a search for similar issues, imho the current feeling is accepting counter-offers are usually not successful.

The other issue is if your worth is 35% more then you are currently receiving, why would you stay where your current employer has so undervalued your worth?

Good luck in any decision YOU make.

257 views

Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email content@proformative.com to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.