more-arw search

Q&A Forum

which tax forms do you file for restricted stock units?


Brian Kreischer
Title: Assurance and Advisory Partner
Company: Frank, Rimerman + Co. LLP
(Assurance and Advisory Partner, Frank, Rimerman + Co. LLP) |

I need to start this with the caveat that my expertise is financial reporting, not tax. But here's my understanding of tax reporting for RSU's:

RSU's are reported as taxable income when they vest. The amount of taxable income is the number of shares vesting multiplied by their fair market value on the vesting date. Many RSU grants are subject to a repurchase right by the company at the grant date value. The lapsing of this repurchase right is equivalent to vesting in the stock.

The taxable income is reported on the W-2 for employees and on a 1099 for non-employees.


Get Free Membership

By signing up, you will receive emails from Proformative regarding Proformative programs, events, community news and activity. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact Us.

Business Exchange

Browse the Business Exchange to find information, resources and peer reviews to help you select the right solution for your business.

Learn more

Contribute to Community

If you’re interested in learning more about contributing to your Proformative community, we have many ways for you to get involved. Please email [email protected] to learn more about becoming a speaker or contributing to the blogs/Q&A Forum.